This blank is used to report that an employer paid an independent contractor who provided temporary assistance to his small business. However, 2018 form is not used to report on the payment of services to a self-employed nanny, because this work is personal, and not part of the business. Forms 1099-MISC are usually issued only to individuals and partnerships, not corporations.
Step-by-step guide of filling 1099-MISC
First of all, if someone is sending paper versions of word 1099 template for printing (as opposed to filing in electronic form). The IRS warns that because paper forms are being scanned during processing, the applicant will not be able to file this doc on the IRS website. They can be ordered for free at the IRS or purchased at the stationery store.
- Step 1: Fill in the field in the upper left corner where the payer’s name, address, city, state or province, country, ZIP or foreign postcode and telephone number are indicated. Business of 2019 blank filler is the payer, therefore the information about the business is written here.
- Step 2: Below this field it is needed to enter the identification number of the business. Owner must write his/her social security number. If this is a different business structure, the company may have a unique tax identification number (TIN).
- Step 3: Enter the recipient’s identification number on the right of the previous field, which is a social security identification number or tax identifier of the person who has paid. The correct way to request a Social Security Identification Number or Beneficiary Identification Number is the use of W-9.
- Step 4: Below the two fields that are already filled in, submitted has to fill in the fields that indicate the recipient’s name, address (including apartment number), city, state or province, country, and ZIP or foreign postcode. The information provided by the recipient in W-9 can be used.
- Step 5: Below this section there is a field asking for the account number. Here, the filler must indicate the account number for his recipient if he or she has multiple accounts.
- Step 6: There is another field labeled “2nd TIN No” on the right of the account number with a square that can be checked. The filler of this official doc can flag this if the IRS has notified him twice in the past three years that the recipient has provided an incorrect tax identification number. Marking this box will not allow the IRS to send further notifications regarding this recipient. The article provides correct MISC 1099 form example, which can be considered as a filling option.
If an error was made while filling out 1099 template and it was discovered before it was submitted to the IRS at the end of February, it must be corrected. For this reason there is a one-month period between the submission of forms to contractors and their submission to the IRS. If the mistake was found after submitting the form to the IRS, filler has to send the corrected excel doc of 1099-MISC. To get the form 1099-MISC corrected, the “corrected” field should be noted at the top.